Saturday, February 3, 2018

What God's been teaching me: January in Reflection

So. I've actually gotten a schedule made up for the next two months. I'm pretty pleased with myself . . . it isn't often that I plan so far ahead. xD 

February 3rd: What God's been teaching me: January 
February 10th: Writing Update
February 17th: Currently Reading books
February 24th: Short Story/chapter
March 3rd: What God's been teaching me: February
March 10th: Writing Update 
March 17th: Currently Reading books 
March 24th: Short Story/chapter
March 31st: What God's been teaching me: March 

Also, yes, I realize that right now, the blog is kinda a mess. I'm working on getting a new design and I'm actually going to be working with the amazing Sav from Scattered Scribblings on it, so bear with how it looks right now. xD It's temporary, I assure you! 
Also, I meant to post last week, but I thought we had one more weekend in January . . . time moves to fast for my brain. Thankfully, March saved me by having 5 Saturdays, so I can get caught up. 

*clears throat* *tries to ignore the fact that I'm no good with intros*



January was a crazy busy, full, insane month. Honestly, I can't believe we're already in February. A lot happened in January. Some good, some not so good. I managed to get a lot of reading done (yay!) and work started back up again after a nice long Christmas/New Year's break. 

I know that for me, January can often be a mixed month. On the one hand, I'm excited for a new year, and always have a nice little amount of plans and goals that I can't wait to accomplish in the New Year. But ten again, as January winds down, I start to lose the excitement I had for the new year. Yes, I still want to accomplish things . . .but suddenly it doesn't seem as exciting. Life sets in. 

There has been two things God's been teaching me this month. The first is that . . . February is every bit as exciting as January. It has 28 days that have never been lived. It's a new months, with every bit of promise that January had. 
So why are we so often less excited for February then January? I'm not sure. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there's a new year to live that has no mistakes in it yet. And after January, we realize that we've managed to mess up a lot. And already, the year isn't as beautiful and clean as it was before.

But that's where grace comes in. No matter what we happened in January, or what we were (or weren't) able to accomplish, God gives us a new chance every day. Every month. Something new. And you know what? Every day ahead is already bathed in His grace. Do you know how amazing that is? We don't have to strive to be perfect, or complete all those goals we had, because even when we fail, God is there. And in His grace and love and mercy, He picks us back up and puts us on the right track, no matter how many times we fall. 
Anyone excited now for a new day tomorrow? ;) 

The second thing God's been teaching me . . .wait and be still. But when the time comes, take the first step in faith. That's what God's really laid on my heart as a lesson this month. And I have a feeling it's gonna a reoccurring lesson this year. There's a lot of unknowns in life right now. I have dreams and goals and plans, but I'm not sure how many of them will actually be a part of God's plan for this year.  This month, I ended up in a situation where I had to make the decision to make the first step. And even though I'm normally okay with being the leader . . .in this area, I really, really didn't want to be the person to make the first move. 

And it was then that I realized . . .sometimes waiting is easier then when you know you need to take that first step. Maybe it's in something small and seemingly insignificant, but means a lot to you. Maybe it's a decision that will change the course of your life. 
And, for me at least, it was terrifying. Suddenly, waiting, which I had hated so much before, suddenly looked easy and inviting. 

There are times to wait. There are times to step out and do the next right thing, no matter how small or large it may be. And you know what? 
God is with you in the waiting. And when you stand up and He shines light on that next step, He's there walking beside you. 
And somehow, knowing that you're not alone makes everything so much easier. 

Psalm 37:4-5 Delight thyself in the Lord, and He shall give thee the desires of thine heart, Commit thy way to the Lord, trust also in Him, and He shall bring it to pass. 

Isaiah 64:4 From the begining of the world, men have not heard, nor percived by the ear, neither hath the eye seen, O God, besides Thee, what Thou hast prepared for him that waiteth upon Thee. 

Isaiah 65:24 It shall come to pass that before they call, I will answer; and while they are yet speaking, I will hear

Isaiah 41:10 Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God: I will strengthen thee, yea, I will help thee, yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of My righteousness. 

2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for My strength is made perfect in weakness . . .

How was your month? ;) 

7 comments:

  1. You hit the nail on the head! Waiting and being still is something I struggle with as well. Thank you for the reminder that we're not in this alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, being still is hard! I'm so thankful for God's grace! <3

      Delete
  2. I agree so much, Jess! Waiting is hard, but sometimes taking that step is harder still. I think that's partly because that first step is scary. It's outside of our comfort zone. We tend to focus on ourselves and forget that our Heavenly Father is right there beside us willing to hold our hand if we'll let Him. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, that's true. It's so easy to focus on how bad something may turn out when we step out in faith, instead of realizing that Jesus is there with us, leading us, and there to catch us if we fall.
      Thank you for that excellent reminder!

      Delete
  3. I was really hoping to catch up on more writing, which kind of happened......Don't know if I'm suffering from writer's block or.....uh, laziness. I guess some of both.

    I really like that verse Isaiah 41:10. Recently I've been having a really hard time with writing and thinking creativly. I have to keep reminding myself that if the gift of writing stories was given to me by God, He'll be the one that will fuel the ideas and creativity. I just need to stop hitting my head on the keyboard...(Not literally), and just relax. It isn't the end of the world if I don't finish a story by the end of the month.....

    Thanks for your post Jesseca. It were really inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeahhh . . .I've gotten behind on writing, too. Catching up is good, though! I need to work on that... xD

      And that's so true! I think writing deadlines can be a help, but also at times, a hindrance. There are times when the story just needs to take it's time and trying to rush it or just writing words for the sake of writing words really doesn't help in the end. And yeah, that's one of my favorite verses. ;)

      Thank you for reading! I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  4. Epic reminder, m'dear. Love those verses. <3

    ReplyDelete