Saturday, October 7, 2017

Five Fall Favorites — Day 6 — Animals

Welcome back for the last day, y'all! Can you believe it's already over?!


Today I'm the bike room, and I actually have some non WWI books for you today! Can you believe it? Honest, I didn't intend for all my other books to be mainly WWII, but as I was listing my favorites, I realized that's pretty much all I read. So hopefully all you WWII fans had an enjoyable time and found some good books on the non-official "WWII" room". xP

And doesn't this bike look so vintag-y? So WWII-ish? It's so cute! Hop on one and you can fill the basket with more books!



Circle C Adventures series

Welcome to the Circle C Adventures site, home to Andi Carter, her family, and friends. Living on the Circle C ranch in 1880s California--the heyday of the Old West--provides Andi with more than her fair share of adventures. Whether nearly trampling her schoolmaster with her palomino horse, Taffy, or outwitting an escaped convict, Andi's life is never boring. Her hair-raising escapades always end up teaching her valuable lessons about family, faith, and friends. 

I just adore this series. And meeting the author online was what got me into writing, sooo... ;) Andi is just so typical, and was super easy to relate to. All her struggles and triumphs are real things that we all face, and seeing her grow in the Lord and in her relationships with her family was just really sweet. And the adventures Andi faces are pretty great, too. Taffy, her horse, is a huge part of each book. And while I'm not one for animal/human relationships ('cause I'm not a huge animal person) Andi and Taffy's relationship was precious. 


War Horse 


A powerful tale of war, redemption and a hero's journey.

In 1914, Joey, a beautiful bay-red foal with a distinctive cross on his nose, is sold to the army and thrust into the midst of the war on the Western Front. With his officer, he charges toward the enemy, witnessing the horror of the battles in France. But even in the desolation of the trenches, Joey's courage touches the soldiers around him and he is able to find warmth and hope. But his heart aches for Albert, the farmer's son he left behind. Will he ever see his true master again?

Sooo . . . I haven't actually read this book completely. I skimmed it and enjoyed it, but it was told by a horse. And y'all, horse stories aren't my fave. But the movie . . . <3 <3 <3 It was a completely clean war movie with no cussing or any objectionable content of any kind. It was amazing. Everyone can watch it. So go do it. And if you enjoy books like Black Beauty, read the book. ;) 


The Little Woodchopper 


One morning soon after his father's death, William awakes in the middle of the forest to find himself completely deserted by his five older brothers. Left alone in strange surroundings, William turns to God for help. After two narrow escapes, he and his faithful dog Caesar find a lone cottage on the edge of the woods where they make a remarkable discovery.

This book, guys. *hugs it* I grew up listening to this read aloud, and I never got tired of it. To this day it's a very treasured addition to my bookshelf. The timeless story is just so clear in the message, and the dog, Ceaser, is the sweetest thing ever. I want him. 

Golden Filly series

pic found online; not my pic
Sixteen-year-old Tricia Evanston and her father share something very special: their love of horses.
With Tricia as jockey and her father as trainer, the two have big dreams of winning the Triple Crown.
Tricia has other pressures, too, like declining grades, a strained relationship with her mother, and the constant worry about her father's failing health.
But Tricia's faith in God always gives her the strength to push her limits.

I read this series a month after my dad was diagnosed with cancer. And Trish's dad also had cancer. Because of that, these will forever be some of my favorite books. The struggles and spiritual lessons woven in throughout the books are pretty deep, but handled so well. Trish's relationship with the horses was also so sweet to read about. Definitely a series I'd recommend. 

Disaster on Windy Hill


When someone tries to steal Windsong, Kate is determined to find the would-be thief -- but at what cost to her family?

So, I kinda recommended this was the series on Wednesday, but this book deserves to stand alone. ;) Windsong and Breeze are my favorite horses of fiction. Ever. And also, their names... <3 I loved the wrap up to the series, and seeing how it all ended was so beautiful.

Anndddd . . . that wraps up the Five Fall Favorites blog series! Did you enjoy it? What are some of your favorite animal books? 

Also, A Question of Honor and Beyond the Horizon are $0.99 today! Be sure to pick up your copy! And visit Rebekah's blog for a wrap up of the event. :) 




11 comments:

  1. The Circle C books and The Little Woodchopper are the only books on this list that I've read. :) So many books to read. *sighs at my pile of books to read*

    Thank you for being a part of this year's Five Fall Favorites, Jesseca! I've enjoyed reading each of your posts and finding new books to add to my pile. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are both so good! I just love "The Little Woodchopper"!

      Of course, thanks for letting me join! I really enjoyed it. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh yes! Windsong!! I LOVED the horses in "Disaster at Windy Hills!" :) And I've heard good things about "War Horse." Should try to read it someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were all so good! I need to re-read tat series sometime soon!


      Delete
  3. Circle C!!! Those are just some wonderful books!!! :)
    I would like to try the Golden Filly series sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are! And yes, you should try Them! I think you'd enjoy them. :)

      Delete
  4. Yess another Andi Fan!! I've read and love the Golden Filly Series :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *high fives* Andi is amazing!

      Delete
    2. I literally read the CC Adventures books till they fell apart. 😊

      Delete